THE PHOENIX CHAPTER IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2018
AMIGOS is a leader in international youth development, creating a world in which young people realize their full potential as leaders and global citizens. We provide extraordinary opportunities for youth to design and lead projects in collaboration with US and Latin American peers and partner organizations across the Americas. Our strong partner network, built over 50 years, enables authentic engagements in communities across the region.
The AMIGOS Phoenix Chapter recruits, trains, and supports AMIGOS participants and their families from the Phoenix metro area. Our chapter accepts participants September through December of the fall prior to each summer experience. During the months of January through May, Phoenix Chapter participants will take part in local training and fundraising events as they prepare for their AMIGOS experience.
Board of Directors
Volunteer Fundraising Liason
HOW TO APPLY
READY TO START YOUR APPLICATION?
1. Click here to start your application. Make sure to select that you are applying for the Phoenix chapter.
2. Complete your application and pay your $50 application fee. If you are applying for financial aid, complete the financial aid section within the application.
3. Complete an interview (details below).
January 5, 2018: Extended Chapter Application Deadline
Sign up for one of our online info sessions to learn more about how you can become an AMIGO!
Check back soon for more information on local info sessions.
You must schedule an interview by calling Florence McCutcheon at (602) 989-6224
The Phoenix Chapter covers AMIGOS program costs through a combination of family payments and fundraising activities. This approach allows us to keep costs to families low while teaching valuable fundraising and community outreach skills.
Family Fee: $3,300 (Payment plans available)
Application Fee: $50 (Non-refundable and not included in the Family Fee.)
Group Fundraising participation is required
- Training materials and workshops
- Round-trip international airfare
- Secondary short-term international medical insurance
- Program excursions
- Food, lodging, and transportation in Latin America
- Supplies for community project and extracurricular activities
- 24-hour On Call Emergency Management System
- Travel hotline and support
FEES DO NOT INCLUDE
- Immunizations and pre-travel medical examinations
- Passport/visa fees
DUE DATES AND PAYMENT OPTIONS
- Participants pay their family fees beginning December 15, 2017. The fee must be paid by April 15, 2018.
- Fees can be paid online or by mail. Payment plans are available.
Family Fee: $3,300 (payment plans available)
Application Fee: $50
*Includes domestic and international airfare
AMIGOS actively recruits and supports inclusion of participants from diverse backgrounds. AMIGOS provides needs-based financial assistance with distribution determined by family income, number of dependents and special financial circumstances. We provide amounts TBA to qualified applicants as deductions on the family fee. Financial assistance applications are due on TBA. Please contact TBA for additional information. In addition, participants who are returning for an additional summer receive a $365 discount.
The transformative AMIGOS experience starts before leaving home.
With 50 years of experience preparing young people for travel and service abroad, AMIGOS training offers unparalleled global youth leadership development. Pre-departure training equips participants with the critical thinking, communication skills, and technical knowledge they need to make a meaningful impact across cultures while staying healthy and safe. The Phoenix Chapter AMIGOS training is youth-led, experiential learning that prepares participants for their AMIGOS experience, builds a community of youth and families with shared values, and develops life-skills to help participants succeed beyond AMIGOS. Training sessions are facilitated by the Training Director.
The Phoenix Chapter incorporates service learning into the AMIGOS training to add depth and first-hand experience to the curriculum. Service learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility and strengthen communities.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Unparalleled leadership development
- Cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Hands-on training for technical aspects of the program
- Extensive health and safety training
- Opportunities to practice Spanish
- Creating a community of young people with shared values
THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR TRAINING ACTIVITIES INCLUDES:
- Nine Sunday afternoon trainings between January and May 2017 (Please see the calendar for details.)
- Two weekend retreats – tbc
- Four online assessments to determine readiness for the summer
The Phoenix Chapter covers AMIGOS program costs through a combination of donor contacts through letter writing, yard sales, product sales, other fundraising, and a family fee contribution. We chose these activities to maximize our ability to provide the AMIGOS experience to all participants without regard to family financial circumstances. All participants are required to fully take part in each fundraising activity as fundraising skills are an important component of AMIGOS training program and raise awareness of AMIGOS programs in the community.
AMIGOS Phoenix participants raise funds through the monthly yard sales. Participants receive considerable help with regard to sales strategies, and the experience gained in this effort will definitely build important skills!
LETTER WRITING/DONOR CONTACTS
Each participant is also required to send out letters to friends and family, to request individual tax-deductible donations (the revenue from this effort is pooled). Letters are written by the participant with considerable help provided by the chapter during the process.
January 7th, 2018
Jan. 21st – 22nd, 2017
February 4th, 2017
February 25th, 2017
March: 11th, 2017
March 25th, 2017
April: 7th – 8th, 2017 (subject to change)
April 22nd, 2017
May: 6th (subject to change)
Trainings from 1pm-5pm. Location TBA.