HOW TO APPLY
How to apply:
The AMIGOS Phoenix Chapter is part of a 25 Chapter Network that recruits, trains, and supports AMIGOS volunteers and families in their local community. The AMIGOS Phoenix Chapter recruits, trains, and supports AMIGOS participants and their families from the Phoenix metro area. Our chapter accepts volunteers September through December of the fall prior to each summer experience. During the months of January through May, Phoenix Chapter volunteers will take part in local training and fundraising events as they prepare for their AMIGOS experience.
The Phoenix Chapter covers AMIGOS program costs through a combination of donor contacts through letter writing, yard sales, product sales, other fundraising, and a family fee contribution. We chose these activities to maximize our ability to provide the AMIGOS experience to all volunteers without regard to family financial circumstances. All volunteers are required to fully take part in each fundraising activity as fundraising skills are an important component of AMIGOS training program and raise awareness of AMIGOS programs in the community.
AMIGOS Phoenix volunteers raise funds through the monthly yard sales. Volunteers receive considerable help with regard to sales strategies, and the experience gained in this effort will definitely build important skills!
LETTER WRITING/DONOR CONTACTS
Each volunteer is also required to send out letters to friends and family, to request individual tax-deductible donations (the revenue from this effort is pooled). Letters are written by the volunteer with considerable help provided by the chapter during the process.
Family Fee: $4,250 (Payment plans available)
Application Fee: $50 (Non-refundable and not included in the Family Fee.)
Group Fundraising participation is required
- Round-trip international airfare
- Training materials and workshops
- Secondary short-term international medical insurance
- Program excursions
- Food, lodging, and transportation in Latin America
- Supplies for community project and extracurricular activities
- 24-hour On Call Emergency Management System
- Travel hotline and support
Click here for more information about our Fees & Funding.
DUE DATES AND PAYMENT OPTIONS
- Participants pay their family fees beginning December 15. The fee must be paid in full by April 15.
- Fees can be paid online or by mail.
- Payment plans are available.
AMIGOS actively recruits and supports inclusion of participants from diverse backgrounds. AMIGOS provides needs-based financial assistance with distribution determined by family income, number of dependents and special financial circumstances. We provide varying amounts of financial assistance to qualified applicants as deductions on the family fee.
The transformative AMIGOS experience starts before leaving home.
With 50 years of experience preparing young people for travel and service abroad, AMIGOS training offers unparalleled global youth leadership development. Pre-departure training equips volunteers with the critical thinking, communication skills, and technical knowledge they need to make a meaningful impact across cultures while staying healthy and safe. The Phoenix Chapter AMIGOS training is youth-led, experiential learning that prepares volunteers for their AMIGOS experience, builds a community of youth and families with shared values, and develops life-skills to help students succeed beyond AMIGOS. Training sessions are facilitated by the Training Director.
The Phoenix Chapter incorporates service learning into the AMIGOS training to add depth and first-hand experience to the curriculum. Service learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility and strengthen communities.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Unparalleled leadership development
- Cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Hands-on training for technical aspects of the program
- Extensive health and safety training
- Opportunities to practice Spanish
- Creating a community of young people with shared values
THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR TRAINING ACTIVITIES INCLUDES:
- Nine Sunday afternoon trainings between January and May 2020 (Please see the calendar for details.)
- Two weekend retreats – tbc
- Four online assessments to determine readiness for the summer
Phoenix Chapter Training begins in Spring 2020. More calendar details will be announced soon.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Volunteer Fundraising Liason